And the countdown begins!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

31/10/2007

And today marks the end of our three year bond in this place. I couldn’t possibly not write about this significant day…

Three years ago I was feeling suffocated from the repetitive job that I have in a call centre. I was actively seeking a job when I heard about this place. I applied for the job, and having further details and prospect of this place, I persuaded Des to apply as well, knowing very well that if he gets the job and I don’t, I would be crushed.

My worst fear nearly came through. Des got the call for an interview, while I waited and basically gave his a very difficult time for three weeks. My insecurity fall through and I was a wreak for three weeks.

Of course, three weeks later, I got the call. Armed with details of the assessment centre, we went through the interviews and various stages of selection. I still remember how funny I felt when we both were up there spending a night just before the interview the next day. That was my last memory of being a customer in this place.

The interview went well, though I remember how bad my knee shake during the interview. It was fun but stressful. Well, more stressful for me because I knew I had to work harder to earn a spot compared to him. This experience is very personal to me when it turns out, a year later, I would be on the other side of the experience, when I was ropped in to assist in running the assessment.

Think about a week later or so, I don’t remember how many days later, we both got the calls of job offer. I do remember, however, remember the exact location in which we were in. We were in Connaught pasarmalam, sitting at a stall near a bank, having dinner. It was still bright, so it must be six something by then. Des phone rang first. It was his mum. Through his conversation I heard, his mum called to tell him that someone from the company called to inform of job offer. While listening tentatively to his conversation, my phone rang…

Yup, it was them calling me about the job offer! After having all the details down, I casually ask her, “By the way, did you just call another candidate named Desmond to inform him about the job as well?”. She answered yes and I could imagine her surprise when I said, “Hold on, he’s with me right now, you could speak to him”! (By the way, the girl who call us is now my colleague :P).

And so, we made preparation to move up. I told my parents about my decision, and though I knew they didn’t want me to go, I had to. Des was going up and there’s no way I want to be left here. So, does this means I only took this job because Des got it? No, I took this job because I was looking forward to be with him. So, yea, I took this job because of him. And of course, at the back of my head, I knew things would be better at home with me away from it…

And so, we were given the opportunity to undergo training in various department. I remember a colleague of mine, after more than a year later after we first met, mention how she finds it odd that she noticed me and Des on our first day of work, being so close to each other. She told me that at one point of time, when we were sitting around waiting for something, she caught me playing with Des’s hair and wandered why we were so close on our first day or work!

Anyway, along the years I’ve mentioned and shared a few experience of mine, few including my room, the RM38 million ringgit, and most is about my frustration at work. Think I’ve started blogging in Friendsters after half a year working here. And this place has inspired to write my thoughts down, and had given me a place to channel my thoughts down properly. Don’t get me wrong, I am very grateful of the experience that I had in this place. I agree if you would to say any other company would have such politics and complication. I am fully aware that if not for this place, I would not be the outspoken person that I am today. The opportunities that I had, I could not thank this place enough, and I would not cease to give credit to this place, even after I am long gone from here.

That’s right.

Three years later, I couldn’t believe that I am still writing. Of course, the main inspiration for this place is 512, but I guess it holds a lot of thoughts of me in this place. Match with Julia, it is a perfect combination for me. I never claim to be fantastic writer, nor do I have enough hits for me to have a nuffnang account (pathetic right?), but I found a way for me to keep sane.

Eh, how come I seems to be writing about 512 instead of my three year tribute? Hehehe, sorry, tersasul sikit. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that, I’m a different person after spending three long years here. And its time for me to evaluate whether the change in me is positive or negative, and to evaluate whether I would continue changing to a better or worst person with the influence that this place brings. The Great Big Plan has still yet to be kick start, though the date is drawing near, it gives the excitement and uncertainties that I could hardly contain.

Time will tell…

No comments: