And the countdown begins!

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Chiang Mai (23-26 Oct 07)

And so, the trip to ChiangMai for 4D3N...


Very early in the morning, Nic came to pick me up and off we go to the LCCT. Unlike my Bangkok trip, the flight was on time and it arrived earlier than expected. ChiangMai was hot, same as Bangkok, slightly less humid.

At the start of the trip, it was clear that it was gonna be a very relaxing trip for the both of us. In fact, it turned into a mini-spa retreat as we went for spa for two days. Though Thai massage was everywhere at minimum cost, we both opted for the high ends ones that cost us an average of RM100 for each hour. Very pricy, in fact, I find it even more expensive compared to KL, but it was good. We went to Imperial Spa, located in the hotel where we stayed in and the Oasis Spa, also around the corner form where we stayed. Spent about a total of 5 hours of spa during our trip, and that left me RM500 poorer.


The above picture pretty much sums it up for Chiang Mai. Shopping in Chiang Mai is, of course, NOTHING compared to Bangkok. It has a lots of cultural stuff, things that we normally see durning a Thai fair in KL. Which left me disappointed of course, but then again, it leaves me the cash to go spa. Otherwise, I think I'll be back totally broke.

I'm beginning to like DIY trips. Booking the flight and accomodations ourselves, and then booking short trips/tours at the hotels. I like the flexibility of the trips and it gives us the decision on places that we WANTED to visit, rather than going to every statues/temples/parks and eating at tourisy restaurant that claim to offer local foods that no locals go to.


Apparently, there were hundreds of Wat (temples) in Chiang Mai alone, and we opted for a half day tour to the biggest and most important temple, Wat Prathat Doi Suthep. It was alright, since we're not a big fan of temples and going to see the most important one is good enough of us. Of course, like any other tours, it includes a visit to a nearby hilltribe village to "experience their lifestyle". It should give you a clear indication on how the visit is when the tour guide says "that the villagers now survives mainly on tourism". Yeap, more and more cultural shopping stuff.


The highlight of our trip is a half day cooking lesson that we sign up. It was just the two of us, and for RM60 per person, we were taught to cook local Thai dishes and to savour our dishes. The class was run by a Thai couple and they were very friendly and accomodating. We were taught to cook stir-fry glass noodle, TomYam soup, springroll and desserts. And it was GREAT! Walau eh, with two huge spoonful of oyster sauce, one huge spoonful of fish sauce, salt, soysauce, ANYTHING will taste good ok! Its an easy step-by-step way of cooking, where the chef will let you do the chopping and frying and cooking and boiling, all on your own! You're supposed to cook your own food and then eat it! My, the last time I cook was during my uni days. Not too bad for a person who last held a wok since 4 years ago! Highly recommended for those of you going to Chiang Mai, MUST sign up for cooking class!

Des was so mad when I told him that I went for the cooking class cause he is the one who loves cooking. Hmm, another trip to Chiang Mai again? Hehehe


Then, we opted for another tourisy thing, which is to join a "khatoke" dinner with traditional cultural dance. Cultural dances, hilltribe dances and a mini-version of our chap fan for dinner. Nothing to shout about, but then again, think you should go for once since its around RM30 per person anyway. One of the dancers is truly very beautiful and that is the highlight of the night for me :)

Shopping in Chiang Mai means practicing my bargaining skills. I admit, my skills werent as good few years ago. And normally, I wouldnt go lower than I should if I REALLY liked the item. Cause i couldnt use the "walk away" technique. Bought a few bags, bangles, food and sourvenirs.

My most prized purchase?

Came from a nearby night market, and it is a sign for the toilet.

Bought it for RM27 (bargained from initial RM35.

Felt that it could go lower, but I really liked this.

Hoping it would last a few homes :)

Cute eh?

No comments: