And the countdown begins!

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Books

Last time, when I started on a book, I usually like to finish reading it at one go. Preferably undisturbed. And there were numerous occasions when I was so engrossed with it that I hardly noticed others around. And books were accessible last time, cause I usually rent them and I'll just exchanged it for some other books.

Back then, I also have a lot of time.

Now, its different with this one.

Never have I managed to continue reading a book for 5 consecutive nights (2-3 chapters each night) and still find myself looking forward to read it.

You see, the problem about fiction books is that it tends to have a beginning, a peak, and of course, an ending.

And then, you're left hanging.

The good thing about biography is that the story is real. Of course, there is a beginning, but each chapters brings an equally exciting story and it never ends.

I like the fact that it never ends. Well, of course the book does, but then life still continues.

And the fact that whatever "stories" that the books brings, is REAL, and not just fiction. The love is real, the pain is real, the story as it unfolds, IS REAL. Though of course, i'm sure a lot of dramatization is involved, but then, dont we always dramatize our own life? Yes, we read about abuse everyday, but to read about one's experience, no matter how much excitement we add to the story, an abuse is STILL an abuse. And the emotions that the reader felt when reading, is probably a superbly small percentage of what the author ACTUALLY felt. Isnt that amazing, to know that the book is what life is all about, and not just some fictional story that a person writes to manipulate's the reader.

One of the reasons I stopped reading for a while is that I find the books void of life. So what, at 26, there is NO happily ever after. Though one may feel tingly from the story when everything finally works out, it often left me thinking, what happen AFTER that? And then i realized, cheh, this doesnt exist at all!!!

I'm not good with horror books though. Usually I got lost in the plot and I ended up speed reading through it so that I could get to the ending.

But its different with autobiography. There is no ending. Each chapter represent a mark in the author's life, and in life, there is no ending, regardless whether its a good one. Life goes on.

And I find myself looking forward to spend an hour or so each night, reading up the book. And I know that I dont have to finish it up, cause there isnt an ending to it. Its the life experience that I find so intriguing. Life itself, how it has treated others, and how they tell their side of the story.

And I dont have to lose sleep over reading.

And I've never been in a state where I am STILL interested in the book after 5 days.

*I still havent managed to finished reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Despite all that hype and to think of the things I did to buy it.

I know what is next on my list after this book though. Teri Hatcher's "Burnt Toast and Other Philosophies of Life".

Then I found out that Janice has two more books out, "Everything About Me is Fake... And I'm Perfect" and "Check Please!: Dating, Mating, and Extricating".

Heard about Michael J Fox's Lucky Man, and I'm all excited, but I only have so much time and money!

No comments: