And the countdown begins!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Five things about me.

Five things about me that sometimes I myself still don't believe...

1) Ballet dancer
Yea, long long time ago I was taking ballet lessons. Don’t get me wrong, but I hated those lessons. Not only were the classes inconvineatly on Saturdays AND Sundays (thus filling up my weekends and everything pretty much revolves around it), I also hated the lessons. I just don’t see the reason to learn and dance the same bloody thing whole year around just to dance the same thing on exams. To me, it was rigid and I didn’t see anything good out of it (I wasn’t considering a career in it thus it lagi doesn’t make sense to me…).

The last straw? Its when they decides to fail me in my Grade 6 exams. And the reason is? Oh no, not because I wasn’t not dancing good, but apparently its because of this stupid muscle on my knee (of ALL places) that I didn’t flex (and I here make clear that I didn’t know that I was supposed to flex as non of the teachers told me about it, heck, I wandered if they knew that something is wrong with me in the first place!)

So, yeap, I was already hating my leassons and with the result, I told my mum (she knew I didn’t like it anymore long time but still want me to go) that this is just the best reason for me to quit and not waste anymore money on this. And so, I packed my ballet shoes (the ones that have hard toes and hurts like hell and I don’t remember what its called), went to the school, gave them the shoes and told them, “I quit. I am donating these shoes.”

Sigh. Life improves since then. I gain weight the moment I stopped dancing. I presevered and this is what I get.

2) Music teacher
My first and longest part time job. I was still in college, I was learning organ and I was in Grade 6 (I think!). My music school opened another branch nearby and my teacher asked if I’ve be interested to teach. It all started when I substituted her classes one or twice and then I became a part time teacher myself. My first student is this cute guy who wants to learn keyboard. Damn cute wan! Then there was this old lady, a couple of teenagers and many kids. In particular, a lesson with this super adorable kid, where once I scolded him for being naughty and he packed his bag to leave!!! Panicked, I offered him stickers to calm him down. Hehe Teaching kids were easy, just loads of songs, music, clapping, singing, stickers and colour pencils.

I taught for a year. My highest income at one point of time hit RM1k, and I am only working a few hours each Sat and Sun. Imagine the money I could make if I go full time. Unfortunately, I stopped my classes and quit my lessons when I went over to Aust to continue studying. I never managed to continue my lessons when I returned.

And my organ in my house is collecting dust.

2) Dim Sum girl
My only part time job in Aust. I was a dim sum girl at a chinese restaurant in Chinatown. I worked a couple of hours about 2-3 days a week in the morning. Good experience, my only experience in F&B. We had fun! I couldn’t read the chinese words to diferentiate the different types of teas, so I couldn’t serve and take orders. I cleared tables and pushed the dim sum cart around lor.

Memorable incidents includes the constant curi-ing of food in the kitchen to eat, my ten-WHOLE-minute to clear a dirty 10-seater table and of course, the looks on the angmohs face when I introduce them to chicken feet! Hahaha

I didn’t work there long. Only for my 1st semester. After which I decided not to work anymore. And hence the allowance money also dropped. Hehehe Think on an average, I earned around $50 per week or so.

4) Croupier
So, on a more recent timing, I was trained to be a croupier when I was a Management Trainee. Its something that I had wanted to do as part time since I was in school but my parents (naturally) was against it. So, in a simpler sense, its like a dream come true for me lah. It was certainly a good experience, and although I didn’t really work full time on that position, but still, its god enough exposure for me.

I don’t think I could last long if I were to be in this position as a partimer in school. Favourite game to deal? Bacarrat. 3 rows of games and it will be my turn to break. But most interactive game? Pontoon lor… “Sir/Mdm, card/stay/double?” Least favourite game? Roulette, cause its too much use of brain to calculate payment and such an irritating task to sweep the chips and arrange them nicely just to sweep them down again the next minute.

And once, I collected RM70 and payout to customer RM120 worth of chips.

5) RM38,000,000.00
Right. RM38million cold hard cash right in front of me. Eish, RM1million cash in a bank branch safe? Nothing lah…

I still cannot believe it. Thirty eight million of cold hard ringgits right in front of me. All nicely counted, clipped and banded together in rows and rows across the tables. I could feel it, touch it and toss it around. Heck I even did the counting.

RM38 million. Cash. Chinese New Year Eve. When its done, I went out just in time to see the fireworks at 12am. And then I went back to room to sleep.

That was crazy.

No comments: