And the countdown begins!

Sunday, February 18, 2007

When you getting married?

Total sleeping hours on CNY eve - 14 hours.

Nothing great in particular the above hours, except the fact that I started sleeping at 3am, woke up at 1pm to the loud banging of the door by my mum at 1pm, lunch, fell back to sleep again at the couch from 2pm. Woke up at 6pm for steamboat dinner.

It is nice to be back home.

And its CNY by now, at 1am. I've somewhat missed the festivity feeling during Christmas, much to my disappointment, and I hope that I get to truly enjoy CNY this time around. Despite all the cheesiness, i LOVE the songs being played at malls, LOVE the bold & tacky decorations, and LOVE the reason to eat, drink, gamble and be merry.

However, many friends, and indeed, many articles in newspaper & magazines has express their dislikes over festive seasons like CNY. Times like this opens up opportunity for family gathering, and hence, the mandatory "Are you attached?" or "When are you getting married?".

I suppose, I shouldnt be the one complaining about this since I'm already attached. And I havent been particularly worried about questions like these as I'm still considered young and also there were a few more older cousins who are still young and single for them to harass.

But will this year be different? I'm turning 26, this 26th Feb. A cousin (who has endured harassment during each family gathering), has finally managed to register her marriage with her partner. That leaves only another cousin left (but she handled herself quite well, and she's known for her happy-go-lucky attitude, though I really doubt how much of that she can take). She is over 30 years old, but I think the family members may have gone tired harassing her.

Which makes me just a tad worried this year. Next in line (singles), is my cousin brother (1 year older). He's attached with a nice girl already, and I havent heard anything complaints to them yet (cause most of the harassing goes to his sister - the one who recently got married as mentioned above). So, perhaps, he'll feel it from now on. So, since he and me are the same age group (meaning - working & marriagable age), i think we'll be the target from this year on. Since, cousins younger than me are all still studying.

I guess, its easier to take in these questions cause I'm already attached. Think I am not in the position to say how difficult & embarassing it is for them to ask questions about your wellbeing when you really are happy with your life but your relatives thinks otherwise. I guess, deep down in their heart, they mean well (i'd certainly like to think so!), and I guess its just a common topic of conversation for each reunion.

I mean, even I ask the question "Dah kahwin?" to long lost friends whom I bumped into in malls or even MSN. Well, I'm not married, but I guess, sooner or later, we wander about it and we might as well get it over and done with so that we could move on. Haha.

But then again, i guess I feel less intrusive for me when I get asked that question. Sure, believe me, even I get frustrated whenever anyone brings up the topic of marriage. I think I've said it many times before this.

The point is, sometimes, we just have to tolerate it a bit. In a good way. Cause I strongly believe, what comes around, goes around. As you pester me about getting married, your kids will suffer the same fate as well. The same way you pester me about the seriousness of my relationship, your daughter married someone whom you do not approve of. Hahaha

Okay, bad example, i know. But it did happened.

Chinese New Year is, afterall a happy occasion. Regardless of whether there is enough angpows or not, its the time spent with each other that matters most. It doesnt matter that this particular family member is too loud, or that family member is a useless jerk, bottomline is we're still family.

I guess, in many ways, I am lucky as my family and relatives are on relatively good terms with each other. So, I am really not the right person to talk about this matter.

I'm not one to say that those who despise family gatherings are wrong. I am just reminding myself that I could be worst off.

And my mum just drop hints that I should be giving them (the parents) angpow since I'm stable in my income liao.

Damn.

No comments: