And the countdown begins!

Thursday, February 22, 2007

A Reminder.

I arrived back up the hill yesterday. It was the 4th day of CNY.

It was around 1130pm. I took the lift to go out for supper.

I waited and when the lift door opened, I went in.

Inside the lift, there was an Indian lady, alone. She was sobbing.

I took a glance at her.

“She looks familiar. I think she works here, but I don’t remember her name…”

I smiled a meek smile, not sure whether she is who I think she is, and didn’t feel right to be extra cheerful since she was crying anyway.

As the lift started moving, there were a few seconds of awkward silence as she sobbed.

Suddenly, she blurted out, “Bapa saya sudah meninggal. Accident.”

I was stunned.

I remember going towards her and put my arms around her as she started crying even louder.

Then, the lift door opened. She rushed out and was soon out of sight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is fragile and full of unexpected episodes.

I urge all of you to take a moment to appreciate what life has offered you so far. I urge all of you to take a moment to remember all those close to you, and to give thanks for they are still around.

Because, at any point of time, your whole life could change in a spilt second.

Happy Chinese New Year, everyone.

No comments: