And the countdown begins!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Metaphor

I am one of them.

When I first started, this place offers so many endless opportunities. It paints a wonderful great picture that I couldn’t possibly turn back. It seems so surreal and I could hardly believe my luck to be able to be here in the first place.

Little do I know the dark secret that this place holds.

Behind their smiling faces, lurks a creature man fears. A creature so terrifying, we only expect to see in movies. Newbies like me then, heard about their existence, but we thought its only myths and we never came to believe it. Of course, we have our chances. Thinking back, there were a few encounters, but we just brush them off as a mere coincidence so their similarities.

These creatures are highly intelligent. They are smart, and though they may seem to work individually, all their action contributes to a mission and vision of a common goal. To turn ALL of us into them. They do not easily show their true face to us. Rather, they enticed us and will do anything to gain our trust.

And trust we did. Years down the line, we begin to acknowledge their existence. Their presence is not to be discussed, but is certainly felt. No direct acknowledge is done, but we all know with the familiar frown and nods exchanged. We all knew the dangers lurking, but we are stuck with no where else to go. To buy time, we tried to maintain a civil relationship with them, thinking “I don’t kacau u, you don’t kacau me”. How naïve of us to think like that.

We knew that we were outnumbered, and we watched helplessly as we begin to lose our friends to them. Few of us took the risk to leave, but many of us were still afraid. Afraid of the outside world. Afraid of being an outcast because of our constant contact with them. Afraid we’ll have difficulties adjusting to life because we’re so used to them by now.

So used to them.

We’re becoming one of them. It happens so quickly yet slow enough for one not to realize the change. But others certainly did. The newbies who came in now know that we’re becoming one of them. Our family realized the change but we brush them off rudely, saying, “Perhaps,”pretending to be part of them is the only way to save ourselves”. We fear to become ourselves again because we don’t want to lose out. We begin developing extraordinary strengths and abilities that could take us years to get. We became cocky with our powers. We became comfortable with our powers. We became one with our powers.

I became one of them.

How do you warn the newbies about you? I certainly did, but they refused to believe, just like the way I laughed at these “myths” when I first came. The new ones became cocky, saying that they are well equipped with the knowledge of our existence. Sadly, they know nothing. Knowing about their existence is not anything like being one of them. They wont stand a chance.

Even till now, I struggle with my desire to warn others but is held back with what I’ve become. Certainly, I am ashamed to admit that I crave for my own needs and not to care about my victims. There is no cure. Even those who left, longs to come back. But deep down, I am still human, rather, I was human. Perhaps, with my last ounce of humanity, I will be able to gather enough strength to leave behind this shelter and to warn other humans about us. About me.

No comments: