And the countdown begins!

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Long forgotten...

Few days ago, I chanced upon a long forgotten box. I half expected it to be empty when I reached for it. Imagine my surprise when it was heavy. I opened the box and was amazed to find these…

It contains:
Letters I don’t remember receiving
Penpals I don’t remember having
Gifts I don’t remember owning
Names I don’t remember knowing
Postcards I don’t remember writing
Cards I don’t remember getting

Most of the stuffs dates back to secondary school and college. I rummaged through the pile and gingerly opened every single of the letters. I didn’t read them, mostly just scanning for the author of the letters. The amazement I felt when I struggled to recognize the letters and to recall the people who wrote them. There were letters received when I was in a “penpal” phase and the friends I made during my short stint in Langkawi, most of whom I do not keep in touch anymore. There were names in the letters telling me about their updates back then that I cannot put a face to. An attendance card of sort, to mark our whereabouts in the college. Then there were cards that meant so much to me but stashed away, long forgotten. Then there were this little necklace, a gift that until today I have no idea what it meant. There were colourful envelopes from friends who are creative and long letters that I appreciate a lot.

The sudden feeling of exhilaration when the memories came gushing in…

No comments: