And the countdown begins!

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Cultural difference

i was typing a long overdue post in picturesinthemaking but my train of thoughts keep stopping. I dont know whether its the photoblog effect or i'm just more comfortable writing here.

A bit of update...

Told a few of my colleagues that I'll be leaving soon. Havent made the official announcement to my supervisor and agency, but i reckon I'll be doing in on Monday when the weekend ends. Yes. I have been slacking in my work terribly, but if only you understand what I do you'll realized in amazement how come I havent commited suicide yet.

I had wanted to talk about cultural differences, but the thoughts just doesnt come out nicely. Things like them eating rice with fork and how I was considered weird to be eating baked beans with rice (one of my favourite combination actually).

But soon enough, we begin to realize the reason behind the differences. Below are just some of the things I noticed:

- Yes, their public transportation is very good but its only because they have evolve so much that there is only so much they can do.
- Self awareness was to a stage where people were fine for simply having a glass bottle in the bottom of their bin.
- Rubbish is (proposed to be) collected every fortnightly to force people to recycle.
- Human rights is such that service industry close the same time you get of work because everyone deserve personal and family time.
- Minimum discrimination is not putting up ur pictures in resume and saying ur age/marital status.
- Development is such when you're given money to support yourself while you're (supposed) to look for job.
- Hygiene is such that street food is of non existance.
- Ipods is only popular because everyone cannot afford to drive to work and have to take the train.
- Reading is popular because the train goes through underground and there is nothing else to look at.
- Personal space is important thats why Ipods and reading are popular.
- Lunch-ing together-gether on a regular basis is expensive and unpopular.
- Personal grooming means girls are taught to put makeup when going to school.

I noticed several changes in our lifestyle too. Never would I have believe I would:

- Wait 15 minutes to complain to the manager that they overcharge the vegetables that we bought by 24cents.
- Compare, compete and boast with our friends on who gets the best deal in buying eggs (The record so far is 30 eggs at 1.69).
- Rely on the public transport again.
- Have 1 pound in my purse and survived the whole week not spending a single penny.
- Understand the advantage of being spoonfed because you learn to ask when u noticed missing pieces.

I'll b lying if i say we both doesnt miss home. However, I believe there are many times when we were walking to work, taking the bus, reading newspaper, etc that we suddenly realized we're actually in London.

It doesnt matter that we're in the bottom of the ladder once more.
It doesnt matter that we're only earning peanuts right now.
It doesnt matter that the fridge is empty cause its end of the week.
It doesnt matter that our job does not reflect our capabilities.
It doesnt matter that we're second class citizen.

As great as the media has make us believe that they are more superior, we're the one who has made it to their country.

Indeed, my perspective about certain things has changed.

Their way is not necessary the best way.yes, we still have a long way to evolve. And its time to enjoy it. Cause once we reach their state, it really isnt something to look forward to.

Seriously, their way is certainly NOT the best way.

No comments: